Welcome to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota and we look forward to meeting you! We recommend that you refer to the following website for up to date information https://www.dhs.gov/coronavirus/frequently-asked-questions and that you educate yourself on the possible restrictions and/or processes for entry into the U.S. prior to making your airline reservation.
SPRING 2022 – ARRIVAL DAY/SCHEDULE
Thursday, January 13
New & returning students arrive on Winona campus
Airport pickup time at MSP airport is 5:00 p.m. A Saint Mary’s representative will be in the baggage claim area by carousel 5 with a sign indicating Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota. Please let us know if you would like us to pick you up at the airport. Remember that we will pick up new students at the airport on arrival days only and help you move into your new residence hall.
Please let us know if you would like us to pick you up at the airport by sending your flight information to Becky Vogel at email@example.com as soon as possible, or at least two weeks prior to arrival. If you plan to arrive another day, you must find your own transportation and accommodations. An airport shuttle from Minneapolis airport to Winona is available. You can make a reservation by going to https://groometransportation.com. Indicate Winona SMU Toner Center as the destination. Cost one way is $62.00.
Friday, January 14
International Student Services Orientation for new students
During orientation we will take care of:
- Immigration Check In: bring your passport, I-20, I-94, proof of health insurance
- Getting your Saint Mary’s ID
- Getting you get connected to Saint Mary’s technology
- Introduce you to campus services
- Shopping for supplies for your room
- Tour of campus and Winona
Tuesday, January 18
COVID Related Arrival Requirements
The following list contains important information, recently updated by the University, regarding your arrival on campus after international travel. Please read carefully.
- Students should be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before arrival on campus. Vaccinations MUST be FDA or WHO approved.
- As soon as possible, (#1) upload proof of your COVID-19 vaccination into your Student Health Portal and (#2) send a copy/photo of this proof to the International Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have NOT provided proof of being fully vaccinated before your arrival on campus, you will be REQUIRED to quarantine for 7 days. You may do this on campus. It’s important to keep in mind the date of your arrival in the U.S.A. Classes will be face-to-face starting Monday, August 30; an August 23 move-in date would be the very latest campus arrival date factoring in the 7-day quarantine. In fact, it is highly recommended that ALL students plan an early arrival with the expectation that you may have to quarantine for 7 days. This recommendation is given considering the possibility the COVID situation in the U.S. may change between now & August; CDC and WHO recommendations could change quickly and therefore lead to new SMU requirements/policies.
- All students, both vaccinated and not vaccinated, will be expected to have a COVID-19 test within 3-5 days after travel. The International Center will help you arrange this.
- Please email email@example.com your arrival information as soon as possible (date, time, flight #…).
- Complete the Early Move-In Form as soon as possible to notify the Residence Life office of your intended arrival.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are already in the U.S.A. and will NOT be traveling internationally.
Students will be informed of housing assignments via Saint Mary’s email. Questions about housing can be directed to the Office of Residence Life email@example.com.
Study the Saint Mary’s Campus Map. Important buildings are:
#12 International Center (also known as The Heights)
#19 Campus Safety (Information Desk), Toner Student Center
#29 The Office of Residence Life, Room 105, Vlazny Hall
What is my username and first time login information?
Saint Mary’s University assigns usernames to all of its community members, students, faculty, staff, and administration. The username and associated password is given to new users via email upon admission confirmation. Users also are assigned a SMUMN ID number at this time.
First Time Login Instructions
Sometime after you accepted through the university, you should have received an email to your personal email account that you submitted with your original application. This email is very generic looking and contains your username and temporary password for your first time logging into SMUMN systems. If you cannot find this email, please check your spam folder and/or call the Helpdesk for assistance.
The Student Portal at SMUMN is where students can add/drop classes, view billing, grades, transcripts, and much more! To access the Student Portal, go to student.smumn.edu. All first time users need to login to SMU Portal first and change their password. You will not be able to access other SMUMN Systems, including Gmail, until you change password in the portal.
Gmail: http://webmail.smumn.edu/ OR mail.google.com
From now on, you will receive communication from the university at your Saint Mary’s email address. Please check your Saint Mary’s email daily.
Student Services Information:
Winona Campus: 1-800-635-5987
Helpdesk Ext. 7800 (Technology Issues)
Cardinal Central Ext. 6655 (Billing)
Registrar’s Office Ext. 1501 (Academic Issues)
How to Pay Tuition
Tuition payment reminders are sent by email to students and and responsible parties on a monthly basis. Your tuition account detail can be found in the MyBill section of the student portal. Please verify that the Saint Mary’s email is not blocked by your spam filter.
Tuition bills can be paid online, through the mail, or in person. To pay online, go to the student portal, MyBill section, and select Pay by Electronic Check/Credit Card.
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
- Transfer funds from checking or savings (no fee)
- Credit Card
- Pay with Mastercard, Visa, Discover, or American Express (2.75% fee applies)
- Pay with check or money order at the cashier window or mail payment to:
- Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
700 Terrace Heights #8
Winona MN 55987
- Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
Note: A service charge of $20 will be assessed against the student’s account for each check returned for insufficient funds.
In most countries, first-time student visa applicants are required to appear at a U.S. embassy or consulate for an in-person interview. However, each embassy and consulate sets its own interview policies and procedures regarding student visas. You should consult embassy/consulate websites or call for specific application instructions.
Keep in mind that June, July, and August are the busiest months for processing visa applications, and interview appointments are the most difficult to get during that period. You need to plan ahead to avoid having to make repeat interview visits and be sure to bring all the documents listed on the embassy/consulate website, as well as any other documents that might help establish your ties to your local community. It is important to apply for your visa well in advance of your travel departure date.